EDAP 540 Thoughts

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

First Class Reactions


Hello to all! I just wanted to say that I am extremely enthusiastic about EDAP 540, and I sincerely hope that we can all work together to accomplish all the goals Sara has set for us. I am very interested in learning how to reach students that feel literacy isn't important, and generally dislike reading. I have a very deep love of literature, and what it has done for my development I could never replace. I guess that means I am forever in debt to the great writers of the world; they raised me in a strange way. For this reason, I want to teach English to those seemingly lost teenagers who might find solace in it somehow. I have been told that it is a lost cause, that teaching is only a rat race that you can never win. I choose to forge ahead with an attitude completely opposite. I hope to find out more about everyone in our class, and why they have chosen to take the class; perhaps I will find someone else who shares my thoughts. " A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy." ~Edward P. Morgan

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristie said...

This is a response from my Aunt Joann Hofelich, Master of Arts, former educator, and professional awesome lady. I hope that everyone can appreciate her comments within the context of our class.
To Joann I say: what wonderful advice! Passion for teaching, for content (literature/reading/literacy), is exactly what will drive us to make great strides as new teachers (and old ones!). The only thing I would add that I have learned here at U of L is that building a community in which your students feel safe and free to express themselves will also help bring the wide range of meanings within literature study to our students. When students feel that they are "at home" with others in their environment, they seem to be much more willing to ask deeper questions to get at the deeper meanings of texts and art. I look forward to making that an important part of my classroom.
That's all for now; hopefully I will get some more posts. This Blog thing ROCKS!

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home