Video Documentary
I started doing my filming today for the video project and I have already seen some fantastic results. I have hand picked an assortment of students from all grade levels (high school) to interview on the following questions:
a. Do you like to read?
b. If you were a teacher, what would you do differently to make reading in the classroom more fun or more engaging?
c. Do you consider yourself a proficient or successful reader?
d. If there was a Book Club that met after school and you had some choice in the texts, would you consider joining this club?
I have chosen to ask the last question as a sort of pilot project with my mentor teacher, Carol Rietze. I am using this documentary to get ideas for both of us as we continue to try our best to reach even the most reluctant readers, and also to gauge whether or not there would be enough interest from students to support a Book Club that meets after school. She has wanted to do this for many years and never felt confident enought to try it, so I have nudged her a bit. We are purchasing the Steineke text that Sara mentioned and running with the idea. Students have shown interest, so we are going to try this thing out. The next step is gaining support from administration, but I don't think that will be a problem at all, as literacy is a big push at Fern Creek.
I hope to get the rest of my shots done next Wednesday, once school is back in session and I have survived a P.D. day with the whole faculty at Fern Creek. I am trying to get some students to tell me their problems with reading...so far I have gotten pretty positive and predictable answers. I really want to demonstrate the potential that lies within the students I will teach, and also the realities of the young readers I will deal with in my video. I will send an update soon!
P.S. Sara, please comment. I would love to hear your input if you have time. No one else does....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home