EDAP 540 Thoughts

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Reading History

When I was trying to decide what three artifacts to bring to class which would represent my history as a reader, I found myself going to the very same bookshelf from which I did my inventory. I scanned the shelves, hoping to be inspired, that something would just leap out at me. It took me a while, but I soon realized that I would choose a book from my early childhood, my adolescence, and from my adulthood, each representing a different preference for reading. The first turned out to be a book written by Audrey and Don Wood, the very same people I spoke about in my reader's history. My Aunt Joann, who responded to my blog, read me those books as a small child, and in this particular book, she has written me a note: "For Kristie, Happy 3rd Birthday, from Aunt Joann." This book has been read so many times that I have it memorized, shared with other children over the years, and I am sure it will one day be shared with my own children. The second book was a "self-help" book by SARK to which I was introduced at age 14 by my teacher and friend, Becky Slagle. She had the "How to Be an Artist" poster hanging in my freshman English classroom, and I borrowed the book from her initially. There are some things that were a bit out of my league, age-wise, but overall, I loved reading the stories about unconventional people having fun with life in ways I never dreamed imaginable. I will never forget how special it made me feel to read that and discuss it privately with my teacher. The third book was the first in the Harry Potter series, because I first became acquainted with them in college. I absolutely fell in love with reading them, and often found myself lost in the words, in the world that J.K. Rowling creates. They helped me escape from post-adolescent hell into the magical world of an ordinary boy with extraordinary powers. I was able to be a child while reading that book, without anyone else being able to say anything about it.
All in all, I must say that I am very happy with my choices, and I am eager to see what others have brought to class today to share. I wonder if everyone brought books, or if some brought more metaphorically representative objects. I wonder if anyone brought the same artifacts as I did, or if they too chose something from the different stages of my life. Only time will tell...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home